Creating Portfolio views is a Compete feature that allows you to set-up groupings of domains that you’d want to compare on a regular basis. This quick access to groups of 2-5 domains in the compare section of the tool is easy to configure with the directions below. These Portfolio Views can also be configured to send an automated Daily Digest messages to your account e-mail address on a weekly or daily basis, stay tuned next week for the full tutorial.
Creating a Portfolio
- Navigate to the comparison tool.
- Compare a group of domains or sub-domains.
- Create a Portfolio View by navigating to the “Add to Portfolio” link under the Compare button or in the Site Profile navigation above the orange Go button.
You must add the View Name, which will be what this particular grouping of domains will be called. Then specify what domains you’d like to save in the view, this is done for you if you created it from the directions above. You can also choose to add a short description before selecting the Add to Portfolio button. The following image has a number of popular google subdomains, as an example. *Note: not all subdomains existing on the internet will be available, only those that are tracked by compete.
- Make sure to fill in the View Name so you can easily access it from the “load portfolio” drop-down. The description is optional but would be particularly helpful if you have a number of similar portfolios.
- Make sure to click the Add to Portfolio button to save it for future use.
Loading Saved Portfolios
Now that you’ve saved your portfolio view you can access it any time from an active site comparison. Simply select the Select Portfolio… drop down and click on the view you’d like to load.
- Start by comparing 2 sites or more before loading the portfolio.
- Click on the Load Portfolio… drop-down and select a saved view to load.
You can also manage your portfolios from the MyCompete section of your account. If you need to edit, delete, or create new portfolios; you can do so at this link: https://my.compete.com/portfolio
- Add a View – Quickly and easily add views by filling out the fields and hitting the Add to Portfolio button.
- Edit your Portfolio – update the current View Name, domains, or description by selecting the Edit link.
- Delete your Portfolio – selecting this option will prompt you to *confirm the deletion of your created portfolio view.
*Please note that deleted portfolios can not be recovered.
I hope you enjoyed this tip! Stay tuned, because next week we’ll review how to create automated daily or weekly emails from these Portfolio Views. Please email us your questions or suggestions for Quick Tips to firstname.lastname@example.org. And for more tutorials, check out the other posts in our Quick Tips category! Happy Weekend!
Lindsey Mark works in Client Relations at Compete and is responsible for the strategic development of client retention and support policies for compete.com, with a focus on education and training efforts. She graduated from Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, NY so she's a certified technology junkie and open source advocate. When she's not thinking about marketing or training digital 007's at compete, she's doing yoga & blogging about gluten-free diet and lifestyle. Find Lindsey on Twitter as @linji, Google Plus as Lindsey Mark or connect with her via LinkedIn.