Search activity across the 5 engines saw more activity in December, with a 1.3% increase in overall query volume from November.
The trends we have been reporting over the past few months continue in December, with Google losing share to both Bing and Yahoo!
- Bing Powered engines (including both Bing and Yahoo!) as a whole grew 4.1% MOM in query volume, driving its total market share up by 0.8ppt. Bing Powered engines share was 29.8% of the total search market.
- Bing and Yahoo! each had 14.9% of the total search market share. Each engine’s respective query volume was nearly the same in December as well.
- Bing experienced the highest MOM query volume increase of 4.7%.
- Google saw their query volume increase in December with a 0.2% MOM increase. Google also had a 4.8% increase in unique visitors to its web engine.
- Bing also gained more unique visitors, with a 5% MOM increase.
- AOL’s share remained flat, while Ask’s share declined slightly by -0.1ppt from November to December.
We will be reporting a 2010 search year in review in the upcoming weeks.