October search term biggest movers are here! What terms drove the greatest query volume spike? Let’s take a look at some of the fastest growing terms since this time last year to get a better idea of the trend in consumer search interest.
- Facebook, Twitter, and POF continue to outdo last year’s numbers.
- In entertainment, the Twilight and Harry Potter series had terms Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Emma Watson and Harry Potter all in the top 20.Â Disaster film 2012 was even higher at number 3.
- Online media terms from last month (Justin TV, Hulu and free movies online) are joined by Fancast and Java.com (a program powers much online media).
- Michael Jackson’s search share has grown since last month.Â This is due, in no small part, to the release of "This Is It" a biopic about his preparation for his would be tour of the same name.
- Following David Letterman’s announcement in early October that he had had sexual relationships with numerous female staff members, his search query level went up over 500% from last year.
- Shakira’s rumored secret-marriage to Antonio De la Rua, son of former Argentine president, caused a jump of over 350% in her search query volume, over last year.
- Online classified sites "backpage" (grew almost 400%) and "stubhub" (focused on tickets — grew over 200%) saw significant growth since last year; can either compete with Craigslist?
- The CDC (center for disease control) is becoming much more popular as the public’s concern with both the swine flu and the regular flu grows.
- The Blackberry Storm was released mid-November 08; the Blackberry Storm 2 was just released on October 28 but has not warranted nearly as much interest?
- As per last month, search terms relating to last year’s presidential candidates and Saturday Night Live have dropped significantly
- MySpace improvement sites (hotfreelayouts, myhotcomments) have continued to fall off.
- While the increased recognition of the actors in the Twilight film series, interest in the author of the books (Stephanie Meyer) and the search for the first film have decreased.
- Unsucessful social networks bgclive (large gay/bi/trans social network) and urbanchat (urban scene social network) exhibit how difficult a industry it is to break into.
Fall terms, such as "Halloween cookies" and "college football scores," are reflecting the time of year.Â Online gift buying terms such as "amazon.com books" and "buildabearville" could indicate what people will see in their stockings this year.
While many terms associated with the financial crisis are on the decline (see last month’s article), others are showing continued financially consciousness. These terms include span several categories: automotive longevity (aaa.com & usaa.com), instant money (mega millions & mass lottery) and government subsidies (medicare.gov & texas workforce commission).
Can you predict which topics will be hot search terms next month and do you remember what the major news flashes were last November?Â Will financial concern ebb as the economy continues to rebound and what websites will consumers turn to as we continue to approach the holiday season? Check back in next month for more insights.